Hello Parents and Guardians!
Welcome to the start of another school year! We are excited to welcome your children back into school this year!
New to the school this year, we have:
Mrs. Peever: Vice Principal, Careers 8, 10 and 12
Ms. Ferguson – Grade 7 (group 1)
Mr. Carlson – Grade 7 (group 2)
Mrs. Sawatzky – Workplace Math 10/11, Entrepreneurship, Media Arts 9, PE: Strength Training 11/12, and Leadership 10-12
On Wednesday, September 4th, we will welcome students into school at 10:40am. We will start with an assembly where we will play some fun whole school games, meet the staff and hear a message from the Principal. At 11:30am, we will break for lunch until 12:12pm. Parents, please feel free to join us for the morning assembly!
During lunch time, students are welcome to eat in the lobby, go outside to play gaga ball, play some basketball at the outside courts, and generally hang out and get to know each other. Students may also leave the school premises at lunch to go to the skate park, or up to the store to buy lunch. A caution is that students need to be back between 12:05 and 12:10pm so that they are on time for class!
A warning bell will ring at 12:09pm, letting students know that it’s time to get ready for the next class.
- Grade 7s meet in the lobby. Your teachers will meet you there for roll call.
- Grade 8s go to Ms. Parks in room 162
- Grade 9s go to Mrs. Norbury in Room 135
- Grade 10s go to Ms. Mcleod / Mrs. Sawatzky in the art room
- Grade 11s go to Ms. Maitland in room 136
- Grade 12s go to Mr. Deeley in science room
Students in grades 10-12 will have an opportunity to make scheduling changes and will be called down. The procedure will be this:
- Grade 10 students needing to make changes will report to Mr. McGuire/Ms. Hewitt in the lobby.
- Grade 11/12 students who need to make changes will report to Mr. Smith and Mrs. Peever in the counselling office upstairs.
Thursday, September 5th will be the first regular day of classes, beginning at 8:40am. Students should aim to arrive at least 5 minutes early so that they can get their materials organized and be on time for their classes. On behalf of the staff at TRSS, we look forward to a great year with your children!
• Ms. Parks kindly requests any shoe boxes to be donated for a future drama project.
• A reminder that all students need to have indoor, non-marking shoes for the gym. Anyone entering the gym needs to remove outdoor shoes. Shoe racks are located by the gym doors.
Sept 5th – First day of regular classes. 8:40am – 3:01pm
Sept 10 – Tumbler Ridge Clinic Visitation – Grades 10/11/12 – 1pm -3pm
Sept 12 – Picture Day
Sept 13 – Coal Forum Careers Presentations for gr. 10/11/12 (10am – 2:15pm)
Sept 16th – Fire Drill
Oct 1 – Grad Parent Info Night 6-7pm
Oct 10 – Meet the teacher night. Come to meet your child’s teachers! 6-7:30pm
Oct 14 – thanksgiving – no school
Oct 24th – Interim Reports
Oct 25th – No School – Professional Development Day for Teachers
Nov 4 – Grade 10 Literacy Assessment
Nov 8 – End of Term 1. Remembrance day ceremony at 1:45pm.
Nov 22 – Term one Report Cards go home
Nov 26 – Parent Teacher interviews – 2-3pm and 6-7pm.
Nov 29 – Professional Development day – No School for students.
All the Best,
Tumbler Ridge Secondary