During the graduation ceremony, two scholarships were missed.
The TR Days Society Scholarship was awarded to Katie Blunden
The Tumbler Ridge Teacher’s Association Scholarship was awarded to Hudson Zatwarniski
Thank you to all of our donors for your amazing generosity in supporting the graduates of Tumbler Ridge Secondary in their post-secondary pursuits!!!
We have put our lost and found items out on tables in the lobby. Students are encouraged to pick up items they may have lost throughout the year. Anything leftover in the lost and found at the end of the year will be either donated or thrown away.
We will keep our lost and found items out until 2pm on June 27th.
Here is the final newsletter for 2019. in this edition, there is important information for grads, as well as an update on some of the exciting learning that has been happening around the school this spring!
Newsletter June 18, 2019
**there was an error in the original newsletter. The Go-Kart auction is Tuesday, June 25th.
Attached is the course schedule for 2019-2020
TRSS 19-20 Schedule_FINAL
A few notes:
- This schedule is subject to change depending on actual staffing at the beginning of September. Any changes will be communicated to parents.
- Math 10 could not be placed in first semester as it interfered with courses that needed to be anchored in place in the schedule. Parents wishing their children to have extra math practice can use kahn academy (a user account is required, but it’s free).
- Fish farm will not be offered for the 2019-2020 school year so that other senior science courses can be offered. Students in grade 12 who do not yet have a senior science can make an appointment to speak with Mr. Smith or Mrs. Peever to discuss options.
- Mechanics 12 can include Auto-mechanics 12 and/or Engine and Drive Train 12, as needed.
Pre-requisite Courses and “What Happens if I fail a course?”
- Science 10 is the only pre-requisite for Chemistry 11, Biology 11 and/or Biology 12. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Chemistry 11 is a pre-requisite for Chemistry 12. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Grade 9 math with a final grade of at least 68% is required for admission into Pre-Calculus 10. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Grade 10 Pre-calculus with a grade of 68% is required for admission into Pre-calculus 11. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Students who fail any grade 10, 11 or 12 course must repeat the course (or in the cases of electives, an equivalent course) to meet credit requirements for graduation. Students repeating a course will be placed into classrooms as space allows. Precedence will be given to students taking the course for the first time. If there is no available space, you will need to either wait for the next year to re-take the course, or re-take the course through Distance Learning. For questions or concerns, please make an appointment with the school counsellor or academic advisor.
Due to the snow and rain forecasted for June 6th in the morning, we have made the decision to postpone race day and reschedule for Monday June 10th. This decision was not made lightly, and it came down to a matter of safety for the students who will be driving in the races.
The Race day schedule will remain the same, with the pep rally starting at 9am, and the race to follow at 10:30am. There will still be games for the kids in the field, and the Lion’s club will be here as well serving hotdogs.
On behalf of the Kodiak Racers and the Staff at TRSS, thank you for your support throughout this project, and let’s all think happy thoughts for the sunny weather to come on Monday as forecasted!
Career Education Teacher, TRSS
Career Education Co-ordinator, TRSS
Career Education Teacher, TRSS
In preparation for June 6th Race day, the TRSS parking lot will be closed from 9am – 3:30pm on Tuesday (June 4th), and Wednesday (June 5th). Thursday (June 6th), the parking lot will be closed from 8am – 4pm.
Parking is available at the community center, and any drop offs or pick ups between 9am 3:30pm will be at the community center parking lot.
We hope to see you at Race day on June 6th!
P.S. We have a surprise driver you won’t want to miss!!
A black bear was sighted in the housing development west of TRSS today at lunch. A call has been placed to the conservation officer and the RCMP. We are asking all students to stay inside the school for their safety, including during the afternoon break, unless they are being picked up or leaving by vehicle. As we get more information, we will post further updates
Update #1 – 1:22pm
The Bear is now located up behind the grassy hill toward the Visitor’s centre. The RCMP have assured us that there is no danger to students, however we are requesting that students do not exit or walk south of the building (by the entrance/exit to the parking lot) just to be safe. North, West, and East of the school are safe. A supervisor will be outside monitoring during the afternoon break and after school. Students who are walking should walk in groups of three or more and talk loudly.
Here are a few things to know for the Graduation Numeracy Assessment. This information is for Grade 11 and Grade 12 Students
Date: June 25th, 2019
Where: The TRSS Library.
Time: 9am – 11am
Who: All Grade 11 students, and Grade 12 students who have not yet written the Provincial Numeracy Assessment.
Pre-Assessment Activities: curriculum.gov.bc.ca/assessment/numeracy-assessment#pre
Practice Assessments: www.awinfosys.com/eassessment/eexams_sample.htm
Info Sheet: curriculum.gov.bc.ca/sites/curriculum.gov.bc.ca/files/pdf/graduation-numeracy-assessment-brochure.pdf
Calculator Policy: curriculum.gov.bc.ca/sites/curriculum.gov.bc.ca/files/pdf/BC_Calculator_Policy.pdf
TRSS Newsletter May 13th, 2019
** There was an error in this month’s newsletter
The Grad Ceremony was erroneously reported as 1:30pm. The grad ceremony is at 1pm on June 21st
Starting tomorrow (Wednesday, April 24th, 2019) the district will be repairing the TRSS parking lot. The repairs will take until the end of the week. If you are visiting the school, please park at the community centre tomorrow, Thursday and Friday.
UPDATE: Thank-you for parking at the community centre today! The repairs to the parking lot are finished well ahead of schedule, so we can resume parking in our parking lot starting tomorrow (April 25th, 2019)!